Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cast In A Golden Light

"maybe then we'll talk
or sit silently
and listen to our thoughts
with illusions of someday
casting as golden light
no dress rehearsal,
this is our life"



..... From the song "Ahead By A Century" written and preformed by the best band on the planet "The Tragically Hip"

Often times I find myself walking to the morning "Dhoni", more often known as the "fiver" , listening to my favorite band. Something feels a little surreal in these moments as I wind my way through the narrow streets of Male'.

The call to prayer echoes as some hurry to the many Mosques in Male while others walk to the harbour to hitch a ride over to the airport.

There are the little old ladies who are doing there best to sweep the streets clean.Hunched over and determined. I can't help but to wonder, as I pass them by, what motivates them to be so diligent at this time of the day.

As my walk continues I will inevitably pass by a few security guards struggling to stay awake while sitting in, what appears to me, incredibly uncomfortable plastic chairs.

All the while I am loaded down with my backpack, my camera gear and clutching my travel mug full of black coffee.Such is my morning journey to work.

On some mornings I am called in on the "fiver" in order to be on standby until a later scheduled flight. Not always my favorite thing to do, I mean who doesn't like to get a little extra sleep. In any case on some days it is worth getting out of bed early as I hope the first of the images in this post will prove!


Predawn light is fleeting, gone in an instant as the sun rises above the Eastern Horizon. Turn your head at the wrong moment and you may miss something special. For those of you who turned your head I dedicate this shot to you!


The calm water of the lagoon, where the Twin Otters rest, reflects not only the planes themselves but the clouds that invite them to join them in their lofty heights.


I love the symmetry of this shot. Rows of propellers back-lit by the suns morning glow.


Before the engines roar to life and propellers disturb the still air of this glorious morning the passengers must be helped aboard. In this shot one our first officers Larrisa helps them safely board.


They head out on their way for the first trip of the day. No doubt the first of many!


Not to be out out done one of the aircraft from TMA is the next one to leave for the Atolls that make up the the many islands of Maldives.


Love that these guys called me over to take their photo. Something about the people of this country, photogenic and confident in who they are.I think this really translates to the images that I capture.


Thanks for the pose boys! You make it easy to take your picture!


The rain is starting to move in, slowly for now,just the odd shower here and there. As a result the air is much clearer and the visibility has greatly improved. I love the way these islands line up. It as if they were just planted there with purpose in mind.


It is an amazing time to record the Maldives. The transition between the Eastern and Western Monsoon brings clear sky's and because the seas have been calm for some time now the water is amazingly clear and blue.


A tremendous view indeed. I am sure few would disagree!


Time on one of the floating platforms provides a photo op! Here is Farish getting his picture taken, the floating platform reflected in the lens if his sunglasses.


I guess I am wandering from subject to subject in this post. I guess it is safe to say that when I have my camera in hand I find so many things that much more interesting.


I shot these images while walking the seawall at one of the resorts in the BAA atoll.


Thirty minutes before the sunset and the moon is high in the blue sky. I am so happy with the way this turned out!


Now this fellow appeared in this last weeks post and he sure to return in following posts. He was an amazing subject with so many "cheeky" expressions!


To end this week I leave you a shot of the main base in Male'. Most of our planes were there at this moment.

So happy you joined me here in the blogosphere. It is my pleasure to have presented these images and I hope you enjoy them as much as I!

All the best till next week.

Rob
One of the barefootpilots!

No comments:

Post a Comment