Monday, December 6, 2010

Tour Of Rasdhoo

Hi and welcome to my blog.

My ongoing photographic essay of my travels in the Maldives. This is a place where I combine my passion for photography with my love of aviation. I think you will have to admit these two activities can combine to give me some unique opportunities. As a result of this combination I feel I can offer you some perspectives and images that are also unique and interesting.

My last post was centered around the aircraft I fly,the Twin Otter on floats. This post will give you a little tour around one of the local islands, Rasdhoo, which is located in the atoll of the same name the Rasdhoo atoll.

The reason I was there and had the time to walk around the island was because I was on a charter flight.While the guests were out snorkeling, myself along with the rest of my crew went over to the island. So the following is a few of the images I was able to capture. I hope you enjoy them! To enlarge them give them a click and the will fill your screen!

All comments are welcome as I am always trying to get feedback on the images I present. Good or bad please don't be shy, at this point in my life my skin is pretty thick!



First shot is of one of the hard working crew of a fishing dhoni. I was amazed at the amount of propane that was stowed under the floor. In the background is another dhoni which was just returning with some with a geological team from Germany.



After he was done unloading the propane he was off to grab a dingy.


The Dhoni skipper pumping out the bilge before the next trip.


One of the crewman of the dhoni that was chartered by the Geologist's from Germany.


While I was shooting away the Captain of the dhoni that dropped us off came by with a few of his friends. He is the one on the right. He has been doing this for awhile now and by my mind easily the best dhoni skipper that I have encountered!


Speaking of dhoni's here is a shot of one that is the late stages of construction. These boats are quite amazing and there is an imense amount of craftsmanship involved. I often see these boats out in seas' that are nothing short of monstrous with respect to the swell and they just keep going. I thought it was very cool to come upon being built right there on the beach!


Can you tell which way the wind is? Love the way the boats, including the flying one all line up patiently awaiting their next mission!


Myself, well I can't imagine going out in the open Ocean in one this small. Especially when the monsoons decide to come and play!


A few of the islands I have been to have this central type meeting place. On other occasions I have seen these areas jam packed with men. Some of their discussions can become quite animated indeed. On this day however there was just this one fellow. He almost seemed kind of lonely.


I went into this little store, named "This and That" which they did have. I wanted a bottle of water to drink and the two young men were more than happy to take care my request. Lately I have been trying to ask more people to allow me to take their photo. This happy family was only to happy to oblige. Love the warm smiles. Universal !


These two happened to walk by me as well and we only to happy to strike a pose!


I struggled to get all of them to look at the camera at the same time. I settled for 4 out of 6! Super cool group. The father has a water sports company at a few of the resorts and was back home for a visit. I think the girl in the pink dress was my favorite however, best described as an energetic spark plug!


Just like in the capital city of Male' the streets are narrow. Unlike Male', however, there is plenty of room to walk down them!


Rasdhoo is an island that has two major resorts on either side of it. This makes an easy trip for guests to come and tour. Of course that means there are plenty of things to buy that are geared towards the tourists. Though I have to say in a distinctly Maldivian way! I just loved how the sample clothing was displayed outside the store in a splendid line up!



I love to give my images some character. Not only in the way I try to find unique and interesting angles as I capture them but also by how I post produce them. Here I was going for a 1970's type look, from a photo album. What do you think?


After landing at the Seaplane Base in Male' I got this one! Seems unlikely I would ever make a post with out at least one picture of my favorite plane! Even if it is the other companies!

Glad you came for visit, hope you will return. I update once a week or there about. Sometimes I even manage to get away two in a week!

Safe travels!

Rob

One of the many barefoot pilots!

No comments:

Post a Comment