Monday, October 25, 2010

A Little Bit Of This And Some Of That!

Well I hope you enjoyed the video I posted to YouTube. If you haven't had a chance to view it please have a scroll down the page and check it out. It was a great way to cap off my second day back.

Today I spent a few hours walking around the fish market as well as the Jetties that line the waterfront on the North side of Male'. It got me thinking about perspective. I am always searching for perspective not only through the lenses of my camera but also my own perspective of the world that I inhabit. I try very hard to understand why it is people think the way they do. What is it that influences their opinions of the world.

I would suppose large parts of their perspective could be influenced by the religion they have, the places they've been, their family life, the people they work with, the amount of wealth they posses, of course I could go on.

I know most of those things have influenced how I see the world. As walked around taking pictures of what is a pretty normal day for those I was photographing I can see the stares. I am certain I am not the first person with a camera to show up and take pictures, far from it indeed, none the less I did feel a little self conscious about how much I stand out. Perhaps even a little nervous but I have to say that the warm smiles that greet me , the fisherman who are so proud to display their catch and the inquiries of where I am from alleviated any apprehension I may have felt at first.

I know I have mentioned before that I do feel challenged by being away from my family.That does a lot to influence my perspective at times. I do have to balance my passion for the type of work I seek and how that may influence my loved ones. I always feel so lucky to have the wife that I do and the children she has given me . I do feel their support for me each and every day. I can't wait to see them again and spend that quality time with them on my time off! In the mean time I will work hard to be the man they need me to be.

Anyway it is picture time.

Only a few from the fish market this time round but stay tuned because I will be posting more!


For those of you who have never seen the Maldives I am sure that you may think that these images are made up! I am here to say that this place does look like this! This a photo I actually took a few years ago. I just rediscovered it and felt I had to share!South East side of the Lhaviyani Atoll.

Here we have the South East side of the Felidhoo Atoll. I captured this image while on our way back to Male' from Medhufushi Resort

Another plane load of people coming to the Maldives on a SriLankan Airlines A340.

Now we are onto what I was describing in the opening of this post. One of the larger fishing Dhonis. Everything is caught by hand here. No nets. I have to do a bit more research and post some videos of how these guys pull the fish in. Stay tuned!

These guys got my attention and were more than happy to show off some of their catch!

That all for now! Check back soon!

Rob........

No comments:

Post a Comment