Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Fishermans Market, Male' Style!

Hello again and welcome back. It has been quite a week here in the Maldives. We lost a colleague who was taken from us quite suddenly back in Canada. I think that I can say that all of us here extend our condolences to his family and would like them to know we are thinking of them in their time of indescribable grief.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had taken my camera down to the fish market here in Male'. I grew in a coastal town in the Pacific Northwest of Canada, Prince Rupert British Columbia to be more precise. I think it is because of those roots I feel connected to the outdoors and more specifically the Ocean. I was never really a commercial fisherman per say, I did spend some time doing some prawning and crab fishing with the Lussier family. I also had a friend invite me to take a trip with on his Seiner. This would hardly qualify me as having been a commercial fisherman. I did have few summers working in the canneries in Prince Rupert and I knew tons of fisherman families. I do feel connected in that way.

Considering all this I felt drawn to the market and to the people that fish the waters of the Indian Ocean. These boys work hard! There are no nets used in the Maldives instead everything is caught by hand using a rod and hook or simply by holding on to a spool of line. I have found some really cool videos on youtube that I have posted at the bottom of this post. Please take the time to have a look at them as they are quite interesting and do a great job to illustrate how these guys work their tails off!


Perhaps you will remember this guy from the previous post. He and his mate called me over for a picture and even let me come on the boat to snap a few more. I felt privileged to have had this opportunity.


The boy's hauling their catch off to the market


The days catch. All the fish is laid out on the floor . It is displayed for anyone to buy. You just walk around and pick out the one you like then haggle a bit for the right price.


It is a buzz with activity as people jostle for position to look at and find the best catch of the day.


Name your price,pay a few laari for a bag,fill it up and go have lunch!


This place is an amazing place to pictures. The people have such character in their faces and pride in their hearts


Just taking in the action that surrounds him


Here we have a fellow perched in a window high above the action of the market. It seems to me he is keeping a watchful eye on the fishing dhonis that are tied up across the street.



One of the mighty fishing dhonis. The Jetty is jammed packed with all shapes and sizes.


As I said all shapes and sizes.


Here we have a fellow stationed at the bow keeping an eye the jetty as they approach to dock and unload.


It seemed to me a bit chaotic. That being said perhaps it s more organized than my western eyes could perceive.


I am not sure he knew what to make of me! For him I am sure it is just another day while through my eyes I was seeing something exotic and exciting.


Again the variety of shapes and sizes!


Space is at a premium!Through all of this though there was now sign of shouting or anger over people moving these boats around into the smallest of spaces!


Such a small boat to be out on that sea that is the Indian Ocean!



And now those videos a promised! Check them out! I am sure you will agree these guys work hard for their money!










Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed this post. Please feel free to contact me should I have my facts wrong,if you know anyone in the images, the boat names or even just to say hi!
barefootflyer@gmail.com
So long for now.......
Rob.....

No comments:

Post a Comment