Wednesday, October 5, 2011

With Just A Few More Weeks To Go

 Hi there and welcome to my blog , a photographic montage of my travels throughout the Maldives.

I have been here for the past couple of months and I am due to leave in three weeks. Back to my family  in Canada. I have to admit it is hard leaving them for extended periods of time but such is the nature of the career I have chosen. Thankfully I have an understanding family and the time I get with them on my off months is something I value very much!  Needless to say that although it a great adventure here in the Maldives, flying barefoot and photographing all that catches my eye, I am really looking forward to getting home and spending time with my amazing family!

I have a number of images to share from the past week , along with few from weeks past. The weather has been simply outstanding lately and the flying has been quite enjoyable. Just yesterday I was landing up at resort and as we touched down we sere surrounded by a hundred or more dolphins. I wish I could say I have pictures to show you of that! Instead I concentrated on getting the passengers we had aboard the best possible experience as we followed them around for a few moments. Maybe next time it happens I won't have anyone on board and I will get a chance to take a few shots of my own!

In any case let me get to the images I do have !


 First in the series are some shots from around the Capital City Male'. This one is looking towards the West.



 
 An Aeorflot 767 on final approach to Male' International with the city in the background.


 
 High above the Airport! You can see our seaplane base along with the waterways we take off and land on.


A very densely populated city atop a coral reef no more than 2 metres above sea level.


 Buildings that are shaped in all manners to fit into neigbourhoods that are perhaps can be best described as a jigsaw puzzle in so far as how they are laid out.


 
 Most definitely the preferred mode of travel through the narrow streets. 





The every present Indian Ocean breaking into a wave as it crashes into the Eastern edge of the city.


Continuing along to the float base. I thought I would post some of the people I work with.In this one I caught our baggage handlers waiting for the next flight to arrive.





I think one of the great appeals of this job is the eclectic, if not at time slightly eccentric group of people that you get to work with!


I thnk most are getting used to the idea that I have a camera with me everywhere I go!





Working with this bunch really is a treat. I do enjoy the good days!








Moving on now to the atoll shots! Lets face it when the weather is good this place turns into a mural that can only be described as surreal! Looking towards the North on the East side of the South Ari Atoll with Lily Beach Resort in the foreground.




The Eastern Edge of the Vaavu Atoll!


The Western Edge of the Vaavu Atoll!


The North East corner of the South Male Atoll!


And of course I have to include a couple of Twin Otter shots! TMA on approach to the South Right waterway in Male'.


One of TMA's brand new DHC6 400 series! It looks pretty similar on the outside but I can tell you in the cockpit it is a very different airplane.


I am ending this post with this tranquil scene. As these fellow sail away I will do the same.

Thanks for stopping by and please come again!

Cia
Rob, one of the barefoot pilots!