Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Streets Of Male'

Alright then welcome or perhaps welcome back!

My last post was almost all airplanes so this week something a little different. Now in no way does this mean I am about to diminish my love of finding cool shots to take of my favorite aircraft. It is just that this week I felt compelled change it up a little.

I like being able to share with you those perspectives that I gain through the special access I am afforded as a pilot here in the Maldives.In this particular post however I would like to share some of the images that I am able to capture while walking around the city of Male'

It is a truly unique city built atop a coral formation in the middle of the Indian Ocean. For those who are unfamiliar with the city you can click here for one of the shots I've taken , have a look at this link for a map or even look to my archived pages for other photos I've taken.

It is a city that is jam packed with people and vehicles. Somewhat chaotic depending on the day or time . However once you get used to the flow of the city, how to maneuver around the traffic and not bump into people it can be quite a cool adventure navigating the narrow streets. The opportunity to capture unique and inspiring images are every where once you find a way to tune yourself in and fade into the background.

Enough already onto the images......


First up I present a wall! Okay all that build up for this you might ask! I don't know , I was just compelled to photograph it! The brick work, the way the ladder was just placed there and those plants! I am not sure if anyone actually lives in there but I liked the angle and the lay out!


By contrast to the previous shot here is the the steps that lead up to the entrance to the largest Mosque in Male'. An impressive building adorned with a golden dome that is a stand out in the Male skyline. Easily seen from any angle as we fly by the city. For a little more information you can click here.


On one of my walk about's I strolled by this bug. "Punch Buggy " is quite a competitive game I play with my boys so I had to take a picture! I have never seen this one driving around Male' so that may explain why it seemed to be in such perfect scratch free condition!
Very cool gold trim!


The streets are all made of brick and the majority of which not much wider than this one pictured here. I am certain there is not one street with out a line up of motorcycles either!


Memories of championship football team that won the SAAF tournament . I was living here at that time and it was an amazing game to watch, even though neither my wife and I really would be considered fans of soccer.
The jubilation that rocked the Maldives was amazing to be apart of!


As I said motorcycles everywhere!


I got up the courage to ask a few of the city elders if they would mind if I photographed them. To my surprise and delight most were only to happy to pose for me!


These motorcycle lines are like my flame. I feel drawn to the symmetry of the line up I suppose!I am inspired to photograph them in the same way I love taking pictures of the long line of atolls !


And these two fine gentleman were very gracious to allow me to photograph them. They were so casual about it as well, oblivious to the fact I was taking there picture soon after they granted my request.


This fellow saw me taking pictures of his friends and actually offered for me to take his. I was only to happy too! I love the character that is represented in his face! With a handshake and a smile I was on my way.


This is the view from my tiny little balcony!


Graffiti is also another thing that draws my attention here as I walk the streets.


Love this picture even though the image is somewhat disturbing.
To me it as if the the girl in the poster is actually leaning on the handle bars of the motorcycle! The poster is promoting a Maldivian movie that is playing at one of the theatres here. Apparently is about a woman who has been abused and takes revenge for the abuse.



My last photo is a preview for an upcoming post. One of my friends here invited me to a cultural event which was a combination of traditional dance and story with modern music. It was an amazing event and i was given blanket permission to photograph. I want to be able to get my facts straight so I am waiting to get some translated details as to the exact story. There were also some very moving tributes to some artists who have recently passed and i want to be sure I everything straight before I post.
At the end of the show this little one was on stage having her photo taken and I was able to get this picture and many more I can hardly wait to share!

As always I hope you have enjoyed the images and my ramblings.

I wish you well.....

Rob

3 comments:

  1. awsome... i like these shots

    ReplyDelete
  2. da last pic is v nice. hw abt shooting some kids next time. u may find them at da artificial beach n da park

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Siyan! I will take your suggestion! Kid's around here are so photogenic.

    ReplyDelete